Join me for some C.O.F.F.E.E.

Let's S.I.P. (Share, Inspire, Pray)

Thursday, January 17, 2013

"I Just Like to Homeschool. Homeschooling's My Favorite."


I know homeschooling moms who are professional writers, lawyers, musicians, nurses, pilots, actors, therapists, artists, designers, etc.  I am not one of those.  I'm just a homeschool mom, but...

(said like Buddy in the movie Elf) ... 

"I just like to homeschool.  Homeschooling's my favorite."

If you've seen the movie, you'll remember the scene where this exchange takes place:

Toy Store Manager - "Why are you smiling?"
Buddy the Elf - "I just like to smile... smiling's my favorite"
Toy Store Manager - "Make work your favorite.  That's your favorite. OK?  Work's your new favorite."

There have been times when friends, acquaintances, and even strangers have played the part of the 'Toy Store Manager' in my happy homeschool haven.  Some are offended at the thought of people educating their own children, some don't understand what home education is or don't want to know, and many (and I don't blame them) have met or seen some unusual or even 'creepy' families who label themselves as 'homeschoolers'.

That's OK.  I don't mind.  Really.  I don't mind.  I'm just a mom, doing the best I can; and I'm sure they are too.  So, go ahead and ask me why I homeschool.  I have a million reasons, but I'll probably just say...

"I just like to homeschool.  Homeschooling's my favorite."

1 comment:

  1. Here's the scene from Elf...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jyCfRHumHU
    Just copy and paste. I love this movie!

    ReplyDelete